Ask yourself these three questions:
- Are you running out of constructive ways to bring people together in conversation?
- Are you hearing from the same people over and over again and consistently struggling to hear from diverse voices?
- Do you value strong relationships and building community participation capacity?
Join us for an interactive session, where you can fill your toolbox with some new, innovative and effective public engagement techniques that will help you host better, powerful conversations, achieve objectives and create momentum positive change. So…what are we going to cover????
Ideas Fair – get ready to take your open house to a whole new level. This highly-interactive technique is perfect for a drop-in style event aimed at gathering rich, qualitative data that only face-to-face interaction can bring.
PhotoVoice & Story Telling - We all have stories to tell, that share our experience and highlight what’s most important to us. It’s also been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. So, let’s combine our love of stories and pictures, apply today’s technology and make making meaning of complex issues.
Socratic Circle – prepare to take a backseat and support the power of conversation. Designed to embrace emotion, explore divides and share diverse experiences, a Socratic Circle may be just the tool you are missing.
Technique 4 is up to you! - Scenario Planning, Streeter Interviews, Deliberative Forum, Conversation Toolkits – the choice is yours. As a group we will determine our final technique that is relevant to our shared context. When it’s all said on done, you will have four new tools that help you to host meaningful conversations, that achieve objectives and create momentum for change.
BONUS: A Human Lab! Our first 90 minutes you have you up and out of your chair, experiencing 7 unique techniques woven together including a Soapbox and Popcorn poerty
Recommended Experience Level: Open to all levels
PLEASE NOTE: International IAP2 members require a code to register. Please contact email@example.com to obtain it.
— Cancellation and Substitution policy —
At the end of this course, participants will:
- Receive a participatory and interactive session that introduces four tools to bring people together in meaningful ways that create powerful experiences including photovoice, socratic circle, ideas fair, popcorn poetry and more!
- Understand the design and implementation of each technique and how it would be useful in different projects, conversations and applied with different stakeholders
- Experience tools, via a Human Lab, such that they will be able to modify, design and customize the technique to suit specific needs and circumstances
- Walk away with the excitement, motivation and know-how to try something different
Trainer(s): Kim Hyshka, CP3
Kim Hyshka, CP3 is a believer that just about anything is possible with a little dialogue. She’s on a mission, to chart a different course for public conversations. Better conversations that open possibility, cultivate collaboration and spark change through dialogue. With over 10 years working in the field of engagement, she has developed a passion for designing and facilitating conversations that matter and creating engagement experiences where participants feel valued, relationships are built and initiatives and projects move forward. You’ll find her in the midst of both large and small-scale projects, bringing experience facilitating community forums in large urban centers or walking pipelines with Elders in the remote wilderness.
Watch this short video to see Kim in action!
#Schedule at a Glance